Resident Aliens (RA) may complete the W-4 and VA-4 just like a U.S. citizen. Please use the worksheet on both forms to calculate your allowances and exemptions.
Non-Resident Aliens (NRA) have certain requirements for filling out tax paperwork. Please follow the directions below to correctly complete these forms.
To determine your status for tax purposes, please refer to Resident or Non-Resident for Tax Purposes.
When completing the Commonwealth of Virginia Form VA-4:
- Blank VA-4 Form
- Enter your personal information in the spaces provided
- Line 1 – On Line 1(c), please write in the number “0” or “1” (NRAs can only select a maximum of “1” as their total number of allowances”
- Line 2 – skip
- Line 3 – skip (NRAs cannot check this box)
- Line 4 (not on older form) – skip
- Sign and date form
When completing IRS Form W-4:
- Blank IRS W-4 Form
- Section 1 – complete
- Section 2 – complete
- Section 3 – please check the “Single” box (regardless of your actual marital status)
- Section 4 – skip
- Line 5 – please write in the number “0” or “1” (NRAs can only select a maximum of “1” as their total number of allowances; students and business apprentices from India may claim up to “2” allowances)
- Line 6 – please write “NRA” on the dotted line; if you would like to have an additional amount withheld, enter the amount on Line 6
- Line 7 – skip (NRAs cannot claim this “Exempt” status)