The Center for International Education (CIE) congratulates you on your decision to study abroad!

In addition to your study abroad registration, there are a few other things you’ll need to prepare for your time abroad:

  1. Upon acceptance into your program, pay the specified deposit for the program using the payment links on the webpage specific to your particular UMW Faculty-Led Program.  Alternately, you may go to the Cashier, located on the 2nd floor of Lee Hall to pay your deposit.  At the Cashier, payment may be made in cash or by check made to “University of Mary Washington” with student name and program clearly indicated in the memo line.  If making payment by mail, include a brief cover letter stating student name, program, and term.  Send to:  UMW Cashier’s Office, Lee Hall Room 206, 1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA  22401.
  2. Obtain a Passport and/or check that your passport is valid for 180 days after your program’s end-date. For information on applying/renewing your Passport visit the Department of State’s Passport website.
  3. Ensure your Emergency Contact Information is up-to-date in Banner.
  4. If your program is tied to a UMW course, you will also need to register for the course during regular enrollment dates and pay the associated tuition.  Your Faculty Director will give “permission of instructor” for approved students to enroll in the course.  Tuition will be billed to your student account and in-state or out-of-state rates apply. If your program is hosted by an international institution, contact your faculty director for application and/or course selection instructions.
  5. CIE will host a mandatory Pre-Departure Orientation session for each faculty-led program. At this time, you will receive a pre-departure packet filled with useful information, complete your course approval form (if taking courses at an international institution), a General Education Contract required for Experiential Learning or Global Inquiry Credit (if you need it), and the liability paperwork required by UMW. You will also receive your international health insurance card and go over travel health and safety information. Your faculty director will be in touch with you to let you know when this session will be held for your group.
  6. Run a degree evaluation to see if you need to satisfy the gen ed requirement for either experiential learning or global inquiry. You may satisfy either one of these (but not both) during your study abroad program. Some programs provide the credit automatically, but for most you will need to indicate which requirement you’d like to fulfill at your pre-departure session. Please come prepared!
  7. You may also be interested in applying for the Faculty-Led Study Abroad Scholarship.

CIE welcomes you to call or stop by with any questions or concerns, or to schedule a personal advising session.

Welcome Aboard!

Sarah Moran
Study Abroad Coordinator
The Center for International Education
Lee Hall 436