Travel and Safety

Health and Safety Resources

The safety of our students is our highest priority. Please review the U.S. State Department list of travel warnings, alerts and country specific information before choosing a destination. View the current list of Travel Warnings.

Countries with Active US State Department Travel Warnings

UMW’s Center for International Education does not support a student’s decision to participate in any education abroad opportunities located in countries currently on the US State Department Warning List. As such, if a student chooses to study in a country with an active US Travel Warning, the student will not be on an “approved” Education Abroad program, but instead they would be an independent student on “Study Leave of Absence” from UMW, for which students will need to submit a Request for Leave of Absence to the Registrar. For more information, download a complete copy of the UMW Policy Regarding US Department of State Travel Warnings.

Upon completion of any academic credit-bearing program abroad in a country that in on the US State Department Warning List, students will need to have their international transcript evaluated by an independent service, such as World Education Services (WES), before credit can be granted by UMW. The official transcript, along with the interpretation by the evaluation service, can be sent directly to the Registrar at:

University of Mary Washington
Office of the Registrar
1301 College Avenue
University of Mary Washington
Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5300

View UMW’s Leave of Absence Policies.

View Transfer Credit Permission Information.

If you have further questions about transfer credit, please contact the Registrar’s Office .