Visiting Language Instructors (VLIs) and Visiting Language Coordinators (VLCs) are expected to arrive to UMW on Saturday, August 15, 2020. We understand international flight times are limited, but please try to arrive at Washington DC’s Dulles Airport between 10:00am and 7:00pm on that date. Please submit this Airport Arrival & Emergency Contact Information form once you have purchased your airline ticket. This will allow us to arrange shuttle transportation from the airport to UMW.
Upon your arrival to Washington Dulles International Airport, you will either be greeted by UMW students/staff OR you will meet your shuttle driver by following the instructions below. We will e-mail you these instructions as a reminder about 10 days before your scheduled arrival.
- You will be greeted by UMW students/staff at the Traveler’s Aid Desk after you clear Customs & Immigration. If you do not see a UMW student/staff, please be sure to wait near the Traveler’s Aid Desk.
- For those of you who are scheduled to arrive by the shuttle service provided by Chop Chop Shuttle, you will:
- Locate the Traveler’s Aid Desk or pay phone upon clearing Customs & Immigration. Call the shuttle driver at the toll free number (888) 363-2467 and tell the shuttle driver you have cleared Customs.
- Take the escalator or stairs up to the Departure Level. This is the level where the ticket counters are located. Find the United Airlines ticket counter.
- Look outside from the United Airlines ticket counter and proceed out of the glass door to your right (door #4). Wait on the sidewalk outside door #4. The shuttle driver should have told you what type of vehicle to look for. It will either be a van marked “Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour,” or an unmarked vehicle. You must look for the van/vehicle and wave to get the driver’s attention. If you have any problems, please call the toll free number (888) 363-2467.
If there are any problems, please keep these numbers with you:
Center for International Education (CIE) 540-654-1870 (8-5pm)
Ann Witkowski 540-848-5079 (any time)
CIE Emergency 540-419-9781 (24/7)
Finding the UMW Campus
The University of Mary Washington is located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, 50 miles south of Washington D.C. Visitors to campus may use Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) or Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD). Each airport is roughly 60 miles north of Fredericksburg.
Orientation is an essential part of your arrival process and mandatory for all J visa exchange visitors. The orientation is designed to ease your transition to living in the United States. It is an opportunity to review immigration, academic, financial, and personal matters. In addition, new VLIs will learn about the fun activities and excursions we have scheduled for the semester. The orientation also includes a driving tour of Fredericksburg, and a shopping trip to pick up additional items you may need during your stay. Although subject to minor changes, you may refer to the Arrival & Orientation Schedule found on the International Orientation website, to get an idea of what you can expect during your first week at UMW.
VLIs who will be teaching their own classes are required to attend the New Adjunct Faculty Orientation, which is organized by the Office of the Provost.
Immigration Document Check-In
Please bring the following to Orientation:
- Your passport with your visa stamp
- Your I-94 Admission Number print out (you will print this form during Orientation)
- Your Form DS-2019