Before You Arrive

Before You Arrive - Checklist

Review this checklist to see the steps you should be taking before you arrive at UMW.

Immigration Details

      • New F-1 visa students and J-1 exchange visitors apply for your visa (as soon as you receive your I-20 or DS-2019).
      • Students currently in F-1 visa status on an I-20 from another U.S. institution must have their I-20 transferred to UMW. Submit the SEVIS Transfer I-20 Form and proof of finances. (Deadlines to submit this request and proof of finances are July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester.)
      • Purchase airline ticket AFTER you obtain your visa.  Arrive to the United States no later than the start date on your Form I-20 (in the Program of Study box) or DS-2019 (section 3), but no earlier than 30 days prior to this date. Notify if you cannot enter the U.S. by the program start date on your I-20 or DS-2019.
      • New F-1 visa students and J-1 exchange visitors must attend the mandatory International Orientation.

Web Setup and Identity

      • Set up your UMW NetID password and student e-mail account. Once you know your NetID, change your netID password.
        • Degree-students > your NetID is sent directly to your personal e-mail.
        • Exchange visitors > CIE will e-mail your Net ID to you.
      • Set up your email account > Office 365. Your username will be your NetID followed by; your password will be the same as your netID password. If you have questions, visit the Information Technology website or contact the IT Help Desk.
      • Login to Banner (located at the top menu bar next to myUMW). Banner SSB is the student information system.
      • Login to myUMW (located at the top left corner of the main UMW webpage).  MyUMW is your primary resource for UMW student clubs, campus organizations, and extracurricular activities.
      • Submit your EagleOne ID Card photo (if you are selected to start during the Fall semester).  Your EagleOne ID card serves as your residence hall access key and your meal card; it can also be loaded with EagleOne cash and used for purchases at many locations on and off campus.  Visit the EagleOne Card website > read the Online Photo Submission Guidelines > submit your online photo.  If you experience difficulty, email

Register for Courses


        • First Year Students should check your e-mail for instructions. Refer to the New Student Guide.  The Academic Catalog is useful for learning our General Education and major/minor requirements. To select courses for your first semester, refer to the Schedule of Courses.  You will have another opportunity to add courses or make changes to your schedule during Orientation.
          • Students admitted for the fall semester will receive an e-mail invitation to complete the First-Year Student Questionnaire, in which you will select your First-Year Seminar (FSEM) and other courses your are interested in taking.
          • Students admitted for the spring semester will e-mail your list of preferred courses to Jennifer Cirbus in Academic Services. Your list of courses must include a mandatory First-Year Seminar (FSEM).
        • Transfer Students are students who have previously studied at another university. Work with our Transfer Student Advisor, Charles Tate, to register for courses.  Refer to the Schedule of Courses. You will have another opportunity to add courses or make changes to your schedule during Orientation.
        • Exchange Students are non-degree students who are studying at UMW for one semester or one year as part of an exchange program.  Exchange Students are not eligible to register for classes on-line; they must e-mail their preferences to our advisor in Academic Services, Jennifer Cirbus.   Exchange Students will not be registered for courses until late June-July for fall students, and around mid-November for spring students.
          • To select courses for your study term, refer to the Schedule of Courses.
          • Exchange Students should expect to take 1-2 upper level (300-level) courses in their field of study, and another 2-3 course outside of their discipline.
          • 400 level courses are typically closed to exchange students. You may request permission to take a 400 level course, but there are no guarantees your request will be approved.
          • Avoid courses coded FSEM, LRSP, BLST, NURS, and EDUC.
          • Provide transcripts to show you have the necessary prerequisites for the courses you wish to take.
          • Be sure to review your list of courses with your home university advisor to make sure the credits you earn at UMW will transfer.
          • There will be a two week period starting from your arrival to campus through the first week of classes during which you can make changes to your course schedule.
        • Visiting Language Coordinators are required to register for a minimum of 9 credits, and eligible for 12 credits per semester.  To select courses for your first semester, refer to the Open Class List. Email your list of preferred courses to Jennifer Cirbus.  You will be registered for courses in late June-July.  There will be a two week period starting from your arrival to campus through the first week of classes during which you can make changes to your course schedule.
        • If you have questions about registration, visit the UMW Registrar website or contact CIE.

Living Arrangements

      • Complete your Housing and Dining Agreement.

        • Room assignments are made on a space-available basis.
        • First-year degree-seeking (F-1) students will be assigned on-campus housing based
        • Learn more about the residence halls, floor plans, amenities.
        • Purchase bed linens for your room at least two weeks prior to your arrival, as bed linens are not provided.  You can order through the UMW Bookstore or a vendor of your choice, such as Amazon.  Be sure to order XL Twin size sheets. Use your name on the order and ship to:
          • Center for International Education, Lee Hall 434
            1301 College Avenue
            Fredericksburg, VA 22401

          Any additional items you may need for your room can be purchased after your arrival. A shopping trip is often scheduled soon after move-in.

        • Visiting Language Instructors/Coordinators
          • VLIs and VLCs are usually assigned to Mason Hall.  Mason Hall has air-conditioned rooms with suite (shared) baths. There is a shared kitchen, laundry facilities, and study lounge are located in the building. The kitchen is equipped with a stove, oven, sink, refrigerator, and microwave.
          • A bedding and linens package (bed sheets, pillow, comforter, and towels) will be provided in your room upon arrival. Any additional items you may need for your room can be purchased after your arrival.
          • For your dining plan, select the 225 Block Meal Plan.  You will be responsible for the cost of the meal plan (it will be billed to your UMW Student Account)

Medical Requirements

      • Submit your UMW Health History, Immunizations and TB Screening Form  BEFORE you arrive to the U.S.  The Immunization Record must be signed by your doctor and promptly emailed to along with a copy of your immunization records. You can also submit the forms via the Student Health Center Portal.
      • International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status are required to purchase our university sponsored health insurance for the duration of their program. CIE partners with iNext International Insurance, which provides accident and illness coverage.  Accident and illness insurance does not cover routine, general wellness visits.  Nor does it cover dental or vision exams.
      • J-1 Exchange Visitors go to the iNext International Insurance website  > For Work/Study: J-Visa > and review the Global Adventure Plus Plan.
        • CIE will enroll you.
        • If you plan to remain in the U.S. after your semester is over, you will want to make sure you have coverage through your last day in the U.S., so please let CIE know.

Financial Preparations

      • Check your student account by logging into Banner>Finances>EaglePay. Learn about your options for Methods of Payment.
      • Authorize Payers  to make payments on your personal account by logging into Banner>Finances>EaglePay>Authorize Payers.  We highly recommend you give the person responsible for your finances viewing and payment privileges on your student account.
      • Billing Information.   Refer to the UMW Student Accounts Billing Information website.  The list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) is especially helpful.  Refer to the various Methods of Payment website to learn how you can pay your student account balance.  International students can make international payments via Flywire.  Your tuition & fees, housing, and meal plan charges will be charged to your student account.  Your tuition charges reflect the number of credits in which you are enrolled at the time of billing.  If you are enrolled in less than 12 credits, you will be charged per credit hour.
        • If you choose to wire a payment, please request banking information and wiring instructions from Student Accounts via email
          • Your request must come from your UMW e-mail address.
          • Use “WIRE REQUEST” in the subject line.
        • When sending your wire payment, ask  your bank to include your name and student ID on your wire payment!
        • Do not send payment until you receive a bill from or the balance appears on your student account on EaglePay.

Contact Information

      • Make sure your family knows how to contact us at CIE. Email us at, or call (+001)540-654-1434.  UMW’s emergency phone number is (+001)540-654-1025. This number accepts collect calls (i.e., free calls) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The officer who answers will always be able to locate a staff member in the CIE office.

Packing List for the Airplane

    • Your immigration-related documents:  your passport, Form DS-2019/I-20, welcome letter from UMW, and financial support documentation. These items must be carried with you and presented to the Customs & Border Protections office at your point of entry in the U.S.
    • Prescription medication.
    • Funds, including an international bank card (ATM, credit, or debit card) and approximately $200 USD. If applicable, bring a bank draft in U.S. dollars payable to yourself, or home bank details necessary to transfer funds for opening a U.S. bank account.