For the same UMW tuition you paid this semester, you could study as an exchange student in Hong Kong!
As the only liberal arts university in Hong Kong, Lingnan University embraces international education and combines liberal art traditions from both the East and West. It adopts a whole-person approach to education which enables its students to think, judge, care and, ultimately, act responsibly in the changing circumstances of Hong Kong, the region, and the world. Lingnan is located in Fu Tei in the bustling Tuen Mun district of Hong Kong. With an enrollment of approximately 2,000, Lingnan has nine teaching departments focusing on Chinese, Contemporary English Studies, Cultural Studies, Translation, Business Administration, and Social Sciences. Two-thirds of the courses offered at the University are taught in English.
- Available for fall or spring semester, or the academic year
- Language requirements: None
- GPA requirement: 2.5 or greater
- Must have completed at least 12 UMW credits
- Students can earn 12-18 credits per semester
- Students may enroll in nearly any course offered at Lingnan University provided they have completed the prerequisites
- Airport greeting and orientation are included in the program
- Each study abroad student is assigned a “buddy” who will help them transition into campus life
- All courses must be pre-approved by a UMW department chair. Elective credits may be approved by the Center for International Education. Students must receive a “C” or better for courses to transfer.
Housing and Meals
Students pay UMW housing rates ($3322 per semester) and are required to live on campus in residence halls with local Chinese students. All rooms are double-occupancy and segregated by gender. Cooking is not permitted in the rooms, but the university operates a student cafeteria and a full service Chinese restaurant on campus that provide inexpensive meals.
Excursions are not included in the cost of the program. However, given Hong Kong’s central location in the Asia-Pacific region, students will have the opportunity to travel to neighboring Asian countries and mainland China.
To participate in the Lingnan exchange program:
- Register to study abroad with UMW.
- Stop by CIE (Lee Hall 434) for an appointment with a Peer Advisor, who will give you materials and help you with next steps.
- Apply for admission into the Lingnan Exchange program in your preferred term.