Insurance for Study or Travel Abroad

The safety and well-being of University employees and students who travel outside the United States for University-related activities is of paramount importance. To best meet the medical needs of those who travel abroad, the University of Mary Washington requires all students participating in educational abroad activities facilitated, sponsored, endorsed, or administered by the University (including, but not limited to study abroad programs) to obtain health and medical insurance and strongly recommends that faculty and staff do likewise.

International medical insurance is integrated into all UMW faculty-led program fees (if not already included by program provider).  Students traveling abroad independently are required to carry international health and medical insurance, either included with their UMW approved program packages or purchased through UMW.

Medical Insurance

For international travel, UMW’s iNext Basic Comprehensive Plan provides $250,000 in medical coverage with no deductibles. The plan includes emergency medical evacuation, medical reunion, repatriation of mortal remains, baggage/personal effects coverage, injuries, mental health, and 24 hour travel assistance.

Trip Interruption/Cancellation Insurance

CIE highly recommends that participants purchase additional trip interruption/cancellation insurance (separate from international medical insurance) which is available through a variety of providers.

iNext Emergency Contact Information

In the event of a medical emergency overseas, follow these instructions.

Program-Specific Insurance Plans

Some UMW Approved Study Abroad Programs require students to purchase insurance coverage as part of the program package. In cases where the program requires participants to participate in program-provided health insurance that meets UMW’s minimum coverage criteria, UMW students are not required to purchase UMW’s iNext insurance.

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff are also eligible to enroll for iNext coverage at the same discounted group rate when traveling on University business. An employee’s spouse or children are also eligible, when accompanying an employee traveling on University related business, but higher rates apply and policies must be purchased at personal expense.  Contact CIE to request coverage.