Resources for Life in the U.S.

Resources for Life in the U.S.The pages linked below contain important information about things you need to know when planning to live in the U.S. for an extended period of time. If you have questions, please make an appointment with a peer advisor at the Center for International Education.

Social Security Numbers

  • Anyone who plans to work on- or off-campus will need a Social Security Number (SSN) for payment and tax purposes. Social Security Numbers are only granted to those with work authorization. You can apply for a social security card 2 weeks after arriving in the U.S.
  • How to apply for a SSN: documents and forms
  • Who is eligible to work in the U.S.
    • F-1 students
    • J-1 students
    • J-1 Scholar/Professor

Obtaining a U.S. Driver’s License or State ID card

  • How to apply and necessary documents

Tax Information for Students and Scholars

  • Completing your W-4 and VA-4
  • Determining residency for tax purposes
  • Filing Instructions for non-resident aliens

International Student Health Insurance

  • International Students and Exchange Visitors in F or J status are required to be insured by our university sponsored health insurance provider
  • UMW Student Health Center
  • Reviewing your insurance coverage plan
  • Finding a doctor, clinic, or hospital

Transportation Services

  • Taxi Services
  • FRED Bus
  • Bus and Rail
  • Transportation to Airports

Storage Units for Students

  • Find a storage solution for your belongings during the summer break