For the same UMW tuition you paid this semester, you could study as an exchange student in Japan!
- Available for fall or spring semester, or the academic year
- Language requirements: None
- GPA requirement: 2.5 minimum
- Must have completed at least two semesters at UMW at time of application
- Students can earn 12-18 credits per semester
- Students may choose from the entire AIU course catalog (updated annually) provided they have completed the applicable prerequisites
- All courses must be pre-approved by a UMW department chair. Elective credits may be approved by the Center for International Education. Students must receive a “C” or better for courses to transfer.
Housing and Meals
Exchange students are guaranteed housing in one of three residence complexes on the AIU campus, usually housed in doubles with a Japanese or international roommate. For additional information please visit AIU’s housing information page.
Available student activities include 48 student clubs and circles, community outreach, and local immersion activities.
To participate in the University of Reading exchange program:
- Register to study abroad with UMW.
- Contact CIE to request nomination for the Akita International University Exchange program in your preferred term. Available spots are assigned on a first-come first-served basis.
- Stop by CIE (Lee Hall 434) for an appointment with a Peer Advisor who will give you materials and help you with next steps.