The Center for International Education (CIE) is pleased to learn that you are interested in studying abroad.  You have indicated that you plan to participate in a program that is operated by an education abroad program that is not affiliated with UMW.  In addition to your EagleNet registration, you will also need to complete the following steps in order to confirm your enrollment in a study abroad program this is not affiliated with UMW:

  1. Complete the application for your program directly with the study abroad provider, foreign university, or internship program.
  2. Complete the necessary paperwork to receive credit for your time abroad. Copies of these forms are available at CIE in Lee Hall, room 434 or can be downloaded on the Forms page of our Website:
    1. Study Abroad Checklist
    2. Overseas Emergency Contact Form (online form)
    3. Course Approval Form to arrange for transfer credit – return to CIE
    4. Course Registration Wish List for advance registration abroad – return to CIE
    5. Notice to Residence Life (if living on campus) – return to Marye House
    6. Notice to Campus Post Office with forwarding address information – submit to Campus Post Office
    7. General Education Contract for either Experiential Learning or Global Inquiry while abroad (if applicable) – return to Registrar
    8. Degree Application (if applicable) – return to Registrar
    9. Study Abroad Financial Aid Request Form – return to Financial Aid Office
    10. Update your Emergency Contact Information in EagleNet

You can return to the electronic registration system to view the status of your registration.  Once you have applied to your program abroad, please contact CIE to change your status from “submitted” to “pending”.  Once you have been accepted to the program abroad, please send a copy of your acceptance notification to CIE for your file and we will update your status to “accepted”.  If circumstances change and you can no longer study abroad, or if you wish to delay the start of your program abroad, please contact CIE immediately (

The only UMW fees for which a student will be responsible when participating in a non-UMW program is the Education Abroad Fee ($20 per week for short term programs, $300 per semester, or $600 per year) and health insurance if it is not included in the program fees.

CIE welcomes you to call or stop by with any questions or concerns, or to schedule a personal advising session.  Parents are also welcome to call or visit.

The Center for International Education
Lee Hall, 4th Floor
540-654-1119 (fax)