On-Campus Employment


International students in F-1 and J-1 visa status are eligible to work on-campus, as long as they are in good academic standing and are enrolled in a full-time course load. The work does not need to be related to your field of study.

  • Employment Authorization is not required F-1 students.
  • Employment Authorization is required for J-1 students. Please visit the CIE office to request employment authorization.


  • Earn extra money
  • Meet new people and make friends
  • Develop communication and other skills
  • Learn to manage your time


  • You must be enrolled in a full course of study during the academic year
  • You may not work more than 20-hours per week on-campus during the academic year
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods
  • J-1 students must receive on-campus employment authorization from CIE.
  • You may not engage in ‘on-campus employment’ after completing requirements for your degree
  • You are not eligible for the University of Mary Washington work-study program. The work-study program provides jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for education expenses. Under the work-study program, a percentage of a student’s earnings is paid through federal or state funds, and the remainder is paid by the student’s employer.

What to Consider

  • Preferably, the job should be one which looks good on resumes and provides learning experiences and valuable skills (communication skills, computer skills, etc)
  • Try to choose a job which might eventually lead to a better job. For example, work as a desk aid, then go on to be a floor manager.
  • If you are wondering if a position is an “on-campus” job, ask if the paycheck comes from UMW.  If yes, then it is an “on-campus” job.

Where to Look for On-Campus Jobs

  • Students should start by looking at the Office of Financial Aide Student Employment website.

Applying for an On-Campus Job

  • There is no central hiring office for student jobs. You must visit each individual office and ask for information there.
  • Be sure to ask about application deadlines or any required meetings.

Tips for Getting a Job

  • Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want
  • Have confidence
  • Approach prospective employers
  • Practice answering questions employers may ask
  • Be mindful of your personal hygiene and attire

U.S. Taxes

When you get an on-campus job, you will be required to pay and report taxes on your earnings. You may qualify for some exemptions if you are a citizen of a country which has a tax treaty with the United States. Ask your employer when you are filling out your hiring paperwork and contact the UMW Payroll Office for the forms that you will need to fill out For detailed information on U.S. Taxe, refer to Taxes and Social Security.

Documentation Needed After Getting a Job

When you get an on-campus job, you will need to complete the following forms.

  • UMW Student Temporary Employment Form
  • I-9 Form (Employment Eligibility Verification)
  • State and federal withholding allowance certificate (w-4) forms
  • Direct Deposit Authorization Form if you would like to have you paychecks directly deposited into your bank account