Center for International Education



for Education Abroad & International Students

Q:  I am enrolled in a Summer 2020/Fall 2020 UMW Approved Provider (non-Faculty-Led) study abroad program.  How does this affect me?

A:  UMW Approved Providers are currently evaluating the status of their summer and fall study abroad programs. Students should monitor their UMW email for communications from UMW, the Center for International Education (CIE), and their host program/university for guidance and instructions.

Q: I was planning to participate in a study abroad program for a future term but am reconsidering. What do I do?

A. If you decide to cancel or postpone your study abroad experience, please email with your changes. CIE will follow-up with you individually about your plans and can alter your registration information as necessary.

Q. Will Faculty-led programs be offered for the 2020-2021 Academic Year?

A. Yes, CIE is currently working with Faculty Directors to develop a portfolio of Faculty-led programs for the coming year with, as always, student safety and well-being at the top of the priority list. More program information can be found on the Faculty-led program website and will be updated throughout the summer.

For J-1 and F-1 International Students

Q. Does my international student insurance plan through iNext Insurance cover me should I contract the coronavirus?

A. Currently, if a student contracts the virus and did not travel to one of the countries under the Level 3 travel warning after the travel warning was issued, the student is covered like any other illness would be. If a student goes against the travel recommendations and contracts the virus, the student will be denied coverage.

Q. I’m an F-1 visa student who would like to return home over the summer and need to renew my visa.  What should I do?

A. Be mindful that US Embassies and Consulates in most countries are currently closed and are not taking appointments for student visas. Remember, you can remain in the U.S. with an expired visa, as long as your I-20 is valid.

Q. Will offices on campus, including CIE, remain open?

A. Essential services will continue. University support offices, including the CIE office, will be operational via telework. This means we will NOT be on campus in our offices. However, CIE staff can be reached via email and phone during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm), and via the 24/7 emergency number after normal business hours. Information is subject to change, and we will update our office availability as new information comes in. 

  • Center for International Education: or Text/WhatsApp (540) 419-9781
  • UMW Campus Safety 24/7 Emergency Phone Number: (540) 654-1025

Please direct additional questions or concerns to

(updated 11:30am; 5/6/2020)



Education Abroad

Dreaming about study abroad? Ready to increase your self-confidence and cross-cultural skills while enhancing your resume? CIE offers a wide variety of UMW Faculty-Led Programs and seven Exchange Programs. You can also intern, volunteer, conduct academic research, or choose from a host of UMW Approved Programs offered by both education abroad providers and international universities. UMW students can study abroad for a semester or academic year, over the summer, or during the spring and winter breaks to earn academic credits toward their graduation requirements. You can get there from here! We can help.

International Services

Welcome International Students and Visiting Language Coordinators & Instructors! CIE issues I-20s and DS-2019s to our F-1 and J-1 visa applicants, assists with pre-arrival preparations, and serves as your point of contact for any questions you may have. CIE is responsible for programming the International Arrival and Orientation services to assist you with practical matters about life in the U.S., employment eligibility, and maintaining your visa status. We also organize a variety of on and off-campus events that provide opportunities to experience American culture and facilitate cross-cultural experiences with the UMW students.

Follow CIE

Get connected! Follow us on social media to see photos, updates, and stories from UMW students studying all over the world – and don’t forget to get pro tips from UMW Abroad veteran travelers on our Peer Advisor Blog.

CIE on Facebook CIE on Instagram CIE on Twitter CIE on Pinterest UMW Study Abroad Blogs



Member Forum on Education AbroadGeneration Study Abroad CIE Logo Peace Corps Top Colleges Banner