Employment and Internship Opportunities for International Students

Employment Opportunities

International students in F-1 or J-1 visa status must make certain they are eligible for employment and internships during their time in the United States. Eligibility requirements vary according to the type of employment you seek.

On-Campus Employment

If you are seeking off-campus employment, the process for work authorization will vary according to your visa status.

F-1 Student Employment

J-1 Student Employment

  • Academic Training (AT) work authorization:
    • Paid or unpaid, authorized employment for J-1 students.
    • May be taken prior to or following the completion of a student’s course of study.
    • Includes internships, practica, or post-graduation employment.

Tax Information