If you are planning to transfer to another university, there are some important steps you will need to take in order to have your I-20 transferred to your new school. Please make an appointment with the Center for International Education.
When to Apply:
- You must enroll in the new school for the first available term after leaving UMW, or in the first term following an authorized vacation.
- Tell an advisor in CIE that you are planning to transfer to a new school. The new school may have a transfer form that you and CIE will have to complete.
- Complete the I-20 Transfer Out Request form.
- CIE will release your SEVIS record to the new school. The new school cannot issue a new I-20 for you until they have control of your SEVIS record.
- You must go to the international student office at the new school within 15 days of the start of classes! There, your new international student advisor will:
- Verify that you are enrolled at the new school.
- Update your SEVIS record to show that you reported to the new school and completed the transfer within the 15-day deadline.
- Issue a new I-20 for the new school showing that the transfer is complete.