Internships Abroad

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.
–Henry Miller

There are three ways for internships abroad to transfer back to UMW:

  • For Transfer Credit
  • For UMW Credit
  • As a Resume Builder

For Transfer Credit: Students who are already planning on studying abroad may want to consider doing an internship abroad that will coincide with the time abroad for the summer, semester, or year. Like courses taken abroad, an internship can also afford students transfer credit from their abroad experience. The internship must be graded abroad (not taken pass/fail), and credits must be assigned as well. The completed internship grade is typically included in the Official Transcript from a participating international university or program. Students would use the standard Study Abroad Course Approval Form to receive transfer credits for an internship abroad.

For UMW Credit: Students may independently pursue international internship opportunities by working directly with Office of Academic and Career Services. To start, download the Academic Internship Contract, and click here to determine if you are eligible to do an academic credit internship (along with next steps).   Another option is that the internship abroad could be used to satisfy either the Experiential Learning or Global Inquiry General Education requirement via a completed General Education Contract.  UMW course SAGE 000 will appear on the course schedule for the first semester back on campus, and EL or GI reflective component will be graded at the end of that semester.  For students to receive UMW credit or to utilize the General Education Contract, students must log in to myUMW and the Education Abroad Registration Portal.  In addition, if comprehensive international health insurance is not included in the internship fee from the internship provider or international university, students are required to enroll in CIE’s policy for the time you are abroad.  In addition to the health insurance fee, students are also responsible for a study abroad fee ($300 per semester or $20 per week for short-term programs).  Students also must attend a Pre-Departure orientation prior to travel.   For more information, please contact CIE (, 540.654.1434, or visit our office in Lee Hall, Room 434).

As a Resume Builder: Whether for UMW credit, transfer credit, or for simply the experience of completing an internship abroad, students can work directly with Career Services to create a resume, update their current resume, or incorporate an internship abroad into a resume.

For the link to internship opportunities abroad, click here to be redirected to the list provided by the Office of Academic and Career Services, and scroll down to the section titled “International.”


Back to Education Abroad