Study Abroad Registration and Checklist

Select and Register for Your Education Abroad Program

  •  Register in EagleNet.  Simply log in to the UMW EagleNet portal, click onMy University Resources,” click on the “Academics” tab, and look to the right area of the screen to find the “Education/Study Abroad” channel.  Click on “View or Register for Study Abroad Programs.”  Select your desired program location and timeframe (spring, summer or winter break, spring or fall semester, or academic year) and follow the prompts on each screen.  UMW’s Center for International Education (CIE) requests that students register in EagleNet and submit an application to the preferred program by the deadlines stated below.
May to late August
late August to early June
late August to mid-December
mid-January to early June

Note: UMW Faculty-Led Programs are hosted during winter, spring, and summer breaks, and their deadlines for both registration and payment are different than those listed on the chart above.

  • Request an official transcript from UMW via EagleNet and have it sent to your campus mailbox.  All programs require students to submit an official transcript.
  • Complete and submit application materials for your specific education abroad program. You are responsible for following application guidelines and abiding by all deadlines.
  • Apply for a passport or ensure your passport is valid for 180 days beyond the ending date of your program.
  • Apply for scholarships - Optional.
  • Schedule a travel consultation with UMW’s Health Center – Optional.

After Acceptance and Before Departure

  • Arrange travel plans.  In most cases, you are responsible for making your own transportation arrangements to and from your abroad destination.  Book air travel well in advance to get the best fares.
  • Obtain a student visa, if applicable.  Many countries require students to hold a student visa.  If your destination country requires fingerprints, you can have those taken at the University Police Station.

Submit to CIE (Lee Hall, 4th floor, Rm. 433):

  • Copy of Program Acceptance Letter.
  • Completed and signed Course Approval Form, including program dates.
  • Completed Course Registration Planning Form which lists courses you wish to take the semester you return to campus, and signed off by your advisor.
  • Copy of your passport photo page.
  • Provide your Emergency Contact Information using the online form.
  • Provide exact dates for International Health Insurance Enrollment. UMW requires students to be enrolled in the UMW policy, unless comprehensive health insurance is provided by the program.

Submit to Registrar (Lee Hall, 2nd floor):

Submit to Residence Life (Marye House, 1st floor) to cancel Housing and/or Meal Plan:

    • Live ON-campus?  Complete an “Intent to Vacate form” (found of the Res Life website) prior to studying abroad.
    • Live OFF-campus, but have a meal plan? Cancel your Meal Plan with Student Accounts.
  • Forward Mail:  Submit the “Forwarding Form” to the UMW post office (Woodard Campus Center, Ground floor).
  • Complete the “Request for Study Abroad Financial Aid” form and make an appointment with the Office of Financial Aid if you receive grants, scholarships or any financial aid, including but not limited to the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loans (PLUS), and Alternative Loans.  
  • Notify CIE and visit the Office of Student Accounts if you participate in the Virginia Prepaid Education Plan (VPEP) or any other third party benefit.  UMW must be the school of billing for VPEP. CIE will assist in making the necessary arrangements for the VPEP money to apply to your study abroad program. VA benefits cannot be used for study abroad.
  • Contact the Office of Disability Resources if you use their services and need an accommodations letter for your program abroad.
  • Contact Counseling and Psychological Services for pre-departure consultation.

Before You Leave

Take care of Money Matters with Student Accounts (Lee Hall, 2nd floor):

  • Pay your Study Abroad Fee:  Study Abroad Fees of $300 per semester or $20 per week for short-term study abroad plus the enrollment fee for health insurance, if applicable, will be billed to your student account.  CIE will send an email to students when accounts have been billed.
  • Check on EagleNet to be sure you have no “HOLDS” on your account.  If you have a “HOLD” on your account, you will not be able to participate in Advance Course Registration while abroad.
  • Turn in your parking decal to Parking Management (2nd floor Lee Hall) to receive a refund for the semester you are abroad.

Make photocopies of all important documents – One copy to have while abroad and one copy to leave behind with your parents/guardians. Include your passport, driver’s license, credit and ATM cards (both sides), and insurance cards, as well as your acceptance letter & travel itinerary.

Attend the MANDATORY UMW Pre-Departure Orientation - Student’s participating in an education abroad program MUST attend a Pre-Departure Orientation. Contact to learn the date, time, and location for the Pre-Departure Orientation.

Make a final check-out appointment with a study abroad advisor.  E-mail Ann Witkowski or Leslie Leahy  to schedule an appointment (CIE. Lee Hall, Room 433).

While Abroad

  • Check your UMW email regularly.
  • Register for next semester’s classes via “Course Registration.”  Prior to Course Registration, check on EagleNet to be sure you have no “HOLDS” on your account.  If you have a “HOLD” on your account, you will not be able to register while abroad.  If you cannot register yourself, contact CIE prior to Registration for assistance.
  • Complete Housing Contract for next semester, if applicable.  For students living on campus upon return of semester or year abroad, be sure you have a contract in place for when you return.
  • Have a wonderful study abroad experience!