Study Abroad FAQ

Do I have to be fluent in a foreign language to study abroad?

The Center for International Education encourages students to study foreign languages abroad; however, fluency in a foreign language is not required for many programs. In fact, there are several programs that offer courses completely in English.

How much does it cost to study abroad?

The program costs for study abroad vary depending on the length of the program, who is offering the program and where you are going. Exchange programs allow UMW students to pay regular UMW tuition and study overseas without paying tuition at the host institution! Other programs charge a fee that usually includes tuition and housing. Look into potential programs to find out the exact costs as well as any “extras” such as group excursions or additional resources available to students.

What are the qualifications to study abroad?

Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 to study abroad, though most program requirements require a higher GPA for participation. Students should note that some programs require a minimum GPA of 2.5. Students also need to be in good standing with all university offices and must have completed at least twelve credit hours at UMW.

How do I know which courses to take while studying abroad?

Students interested in a semester- or year-long study abroad program should meet with their academic advisor to determine which courses to take when applying for a study abroad program. A course approval form containing planned courses and departmental signatures for course equivalencies are due prior to departing for all study abroad  programs, with the exception of some UMW Faculty-Led Programs which offer courses for UMW credit. Stop by CIE in Lee Hall Suite 434 for more information.

Will the credits I take transfer back to UMW?

Yes! Whatever type of study abroad experience you choose, the credits will transfer back to UMW!  Credits may transfer as elective, core or major courses. Credit is applied upon receipt of transcripts showing successful completion of course work. Courses taught by UMW faculty receive graded credit; other courses receive transfer credit.  A signed Course Approval Form is required in order to guarantee that a course will transfer back as anticipated.

How can I apply for financial aid?

Students interested in participating in a study abroad program need to contact the Financial Aid Office for information about loans and other means of financial assistance. 

Are scholarships available?

YES!  For a complete list of UMW Study Abroad scholarships as well as some additional outside scholarship opportunities, visit our Scholarship Page.