When you participate in an education abroad program, the following fees will be billed directly to your UMW student account. Amounts are determined by program length.
- Study Abroad Administrative Fee:
- $300 dollars per semester, OR
- $20 dollars per week for short-term programs.
- International Health Insurance: If health insurance is not already included in your program, CIE will enroll you into UMW’s current policy.
- Programs over 2 months: $87 (coverage good for one calendar year) – Supplemental Premium Plan with political and natural disaster evacuation coverage.
- Short Term Programs: $1.50/day with 10 day minimum, plus $8.50 for each 30 days – Basic Comprehensive Plan with political and natural disaster evacuation coverage.
UMW Approved Program Payments
For most UMW Approved Programs, you will submit payments directly to the foreign university or education abroad provider. The mandatory study abroad fee and health insurance fee (if applicable) are billed your UMW student account.
If you are taking part in one of UMW’s Exchange Programs, you will pay your regular in-state or out-of-state tuition to UMW. If you are studying at Lingnan University, you will also pay housing (double occupancy) to UMW.
Students who participate in the Virginia529 prePAID program must notify CIE prior to applying to a study abroad program; CIE must make arrangements on your behalf to be the school of billing in order to utilize Virginia529 prePAID funds. Your Virginia529 prePAID funds will cover only the equivalent of UMW tuition. You are responsible for paying the difference between total program cost and the amount Virginia529 prePAID covers, plus the mandatory study abroad fee, a wiring fee, and the cost of international health insurance.
Payments for UMW Faculty-Led Programs
If you are participating in a UMW Faculty-led Program, check out your program page for payment information.