Payments and Financial Aid

Mandatory Fees

All study abroad students must pay a Study Abroad Administrative Fee. The fee is $300 dollars per semester and $20 dollars per week for short-term programs. In addition, all students are required to have comprehensive international health insurance while studying abroad. If health insurance is not included in the student’s program, CIE will enroll them into UMW’s Study Abroad Plan with HTH Worldwide. For the 2013/2014 academic year, the cost for comprehensive health insurance is $50 dollars per month for semester and year-long programs.  For short term programs (three weeks or less), the cost for comprehensive health insurance is $15 per week.  Both the Study Abroad fee and Health Insurance fee will be billed to the student’s UMW account.

Study Abroad Program Payments

All study abroad students submit payments directly to the foreign university or education abroad provider,  with the exception of students participating in exchange programs (Lingnan University – Hong Kong, University of Erfurt – Germany, MICEFA – France, and Universita Cattolica).  For exchange programs, students pay UMW tuition and fees to UMW.  The mandatory study abroad fee and health insurance fee (if applicable) are billed to the student’s UMW acccount.

Students who participate in the Virginia Prepaid Education Program (VPEP) must notify CIE prior to applying to a study abroad program.  UMW must make arrangements on your behalf to be the school of billing to utilize VPEP funds.  CIE must have advanced notice to request an invoice on the student’s behalf from their study abroad program.  VPEP payments cover the equivalent of UMW tuition.  Students are responsible for paying the difference between total program cost and the amount VPEP covers, plus the mandatory study abroad fee, the $35 wiring fee, and the cost of international health insurance.

Program Payments – UMW Faculty-Led Programs

All students participating in UMW Faculty-led Programs will submit payments directly to the UMW Cashier’s Office. For some faculty-led programs, students must pay the program cost and UMW tuition (in-state or out-of-state).  For UMW students, the tuition portion of the program cost will be billed to your student account.  For non-UMW students, full payment for the cost of tuition is due upon registration.

Program payments are separate from tuition and deadlines vary by program.  Faculty Directors will keep you informed of your payment schedule.  A non-refundable deposit must be made to secure a spot in your desired program. Program payments can be made in person to the Cashier’s Office, located on the second floor of Lee Hall, or they may be mailed to:

University of Mary Washington
Attn:  Cashier
1301 College Ave.
Fredericksburg, VA  22401

Checks should be made payable to “University of Mary Washington” and must include the student’s name and program name in the memo line.  If you have any questions regarding payment, please contact us.

Financial Aid for Study Abroad

The financial aid programs available for study abroad include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Parent Loans (PLUS), Alternative Loans, as well as scholarships.   To apply for financial aid for study abroad, click here.

Study Abroad Scholarships

CIE offers several scholarship opportunities to support study abroad. Visit our Scholarship Page for more information.