Next Steps for Summer, Short-term, Semester, or Year Abroad Programs


The first step in your journey is to register in myUMW.  This lets the Center for International Education of your plans to participate in and Education Abroad program so we can assist you along the way.


If you program is on the list of UMW Approved programs, the next step is to apply to your specific education abroad program.  Deadlines and requirements vary, so be sure to explore your program’s specific process.


Once you receive your acceptance letter from your program, it is your responsibility to submit the materials your program requires to CONFIRM your acceptance. Please provide a copy of your acceptance letter or forward your acceptance email to CIE. Refer to the Study Abroad Checklist often to ensure you are completing the necessary tasks on time.

Course Approval Form

Students must complete and submit a Study Abroad Course Approval Form outlining the courses you plan to take while abroad and how you would like them applied for transfer credit. Before completing the form, meet with your academic advisor, decide which courses to take, and determine how you want the courses to transfer:  courses can transfer as a UMW equivalent, major/minor elective credit, or elective credit. In order for a course to transfer as a UMW equivalent or major elective credit, students must get approval from the appropriate department chair. CIE can approve courses for elective credit. Students must get their courses approved for transfer PRIOR to going abroad.

Overseas Emergency Contact Information

Click here to complete the on-line form that provides UMW with information needed to contact you in the event of an emergency overseas.

General Education Credit for your Study Abroad Experience

Fulfill your Experiential Learning (EL) or Global Inquiry (GI) Requirement while studying abroad. The signed Experiential Learning/Global Inquiry Contract  must be submitted to the Registrar prior to studying abroad.  The General Education Committee does not honor requests for retroactive EL or GI credit.

Course Registration Planning Tool

Students who plan to be abroad for a semester or year will need to register for courses while abroad. CIE will remind students to register for courses during advance registration, and each student is responsible for their own registration. If, however, you are unable to register for courses during your registration period, CIE can register you in your courses if you complete and submit an Course Registration Planning Tool.

Notification to Residence Life

Students must submit an online housing form (titled “Intent to Vacate”) to Residence Life before the semester they study abroad. This ensures that the student is not charged for housing while abroad but has a room waiting for them upon their return to campus (if desired).

Financial Aid

All financial aid arrangements should be made with the Office of Financial Aid. In order to apply for financial aid, students must submit an official acceptance letter, an estimated cost of the program verified by the program provider, program dates, and the course approval form. Scholarship recipients must notify the Office of Financial Aid that they will be studying abroad. Email, call 540-654-2468, or click here to be directed to their website.

A number of Study Abroad Scholarships are available through CIE. Visit our Scholarship page for more information.

Student Accounts

If students participate in the Virginia529 PrePAID (formerly called VPEP) they are required to notify CIE if they wish to apply VPEP funds toward their study abroad expenses.  UMW must make arrangements on your behalf to be the school of billing to utilize VPEP funds.  CIE must have advanced notice to request an invoice on the student’s behalf from their study abroad program.  VPEP payments cover the equivalent of UMW tuition.  Students are responsible for paying the difference between total program cost and the amount VPEP covers, plus the mandatory study abroad fee, the $35 wiring fee, and the cost of international health insurance. Questions concerning all other third party benefits can be directed to the Office of Student Accounts (; 540-654-1250).

Course Cancellation

If you registered in courses as a back up, you must cancel those courses before you leave for your study abroad program. Students can pick up a Course Cancellation form at the Registrar’s Office, or submit an email from the student’s UMW email to the Registrar (, stating that you are studying abroad and want your course registration cancelled.

Degree Application

Students with 58 or more credit hours should complete and submit the Undergraduate Degree Application to the Registrar.

The “Campus Run”

Library – Return all your books!
Campus Post Office – Leave a forwarding address. Fill out a  Forwarding Address Form and submit to the Campus Post Office.
Student Accounts – Pay your bills! Contact: 540-654-1250 or email

CLICK HERE for a direct link to the Education Abroad forms.