Information for International Graduate Students


If you are interested in applying to a graduate program at UMW, please click here and follow the application procedure for Graduate Degree Programs. The Center for International Education (CIE) does not process applications for international graduate students. After you are admitted to a graduate program, please submit the Request for Form I-20, along with proof of finances so that CIE can issue your Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Visa Status.

International Student Orientation

All international students, including graduate students, are required to attend International Student Orientation, which is held at the beginning of each semester. Orientation dates and times can be found on the student’s welcome letter. The orientation is designed to ease the transition to studying and living in the United States and provides an opportunity to review immigration, academic, financial, and personal matters. The orientation also includes a tour of Fredericksburg and a shopping trip to pick up additional items that students may need while studying at UMW.


All international graduate students are required to enroll in a minimum of 9 credit hours at the graduate level in order to maintain their visa status.


There is no residential housing available through UMW at the Stafford Campus or the Fredericksburg Campus for graduate students. Because of the limited housing options at the Stafford Campus, it is necessary that graduate students have access to a vehicle for transport, as public transportation is very limited.


All students must be able to demonstrate that they can cover both academic and living expenses while in the United States for one full year (e.g., tuition fees, personal expenses, and living expenses (such as rent, meals, and transportation).