International Student Application
Each semester the University of Mary Washington welcomes international students from over twenty countries around the world. If you are interested in joining the UMW community as a degree-seeking undergraduate student, please visit UMW Admissions to begin the International Undergraduate Admissions process.
Once you are admitted and have paid your admissions deposit, you should:
- submit a Request for Form I-20 (new students applying for an F-1 visa) and proof of finances; or
- submit the F-1 Transfer Eligibility Form (if you are are transferring your I-20 from another school in the U.S.) and proof of finances.
Deadlines for submitting the forms are:
- Request for Form I-20
- June 15 for students beginning in the fall semester
- October 15 for students beginning in the spring semester
- F-1 Transfer Eligibility Form
- July 1 for students beginning in the fall semester
- December 1 for students beginning the spring semester
International Student Orientation and Arrival
All international students are required to attend International Student Orientation. The orientation is designed to ease the transition to studying and living in the United States, and provides an opportunity to review immigration, academic, financial, and personal matters. The orientation also includes a tour of Fredericksburg and a shopping trip to pick up additional items you may need during your stay. International students should arrive to UMW on the program start date listed on your I-20 (section 5). Students arriving earlier than their program start date must arrange their own accommodations until they are permitted to move onto campus.
After the International Student Orientation you are encouraged to join the UMW Orientation for New Students which covers more information to prepare you for the semester and includes a range of social activities.
Health and Medical Insurance
F-1 visa students are required to carry health and medical insurance purchased through the University of Mary Washington. The insurance provider is Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). The monthly rate is $113.65 for our CISI Inbound Student Coverage Plan. You will be enrolled automatically for 12 months beginning on your I-20 program start date. The cost will be billed to your UMW student account. Student funded by the Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission (SACM) are not required to purchase insurance through UMW, as SACM provides a health insurance policy for you.
You are required to submit a Health History & Immunization Form to the Student Health Center prior to your arrival. You will not be able to register for courses or access your residence hall until this information has been received.
All international students will have visiting privileges at the Student Health Center, which is located on campus and provides a variety of services to the UMW student community.
International undergraduate students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours in order to maintain visa status. Students typically enroll in 15 credit hours per semester. To graduate within four years, you must successfully complete 15 credit hours per term, or plan to take some summer courses. Credit hours represent the number of hours you are expected to be in the classroom. In addition, students are expected to spend considerable time outside of the classroom to keep up with assignments and study for exams.
We encourage you to register for courses prior to your arrival, as courses fill up very quickly. Please be advised you will have additional opportunities to register for courses and make changes to your schedule during orientation week and the first week of classes. Students should view the list of Open Classes and e-mail (Charles Tate firstname.lastname@example.org or Jennifer Cirbus email@example.com for assistance. To view all courses offered in a given term, consult the Schedule of Courses.
UMW students are required to live on campus during their first two years. You must submit a Housing & Dining Contract via Symplicity Residence to Residence Life. You will receive an e-mail in your UMW e-mail account notifying you to access Symplicity Residence.
- View the New Student Housing Information page for instructions about the Housing & Dining Contract.
- Room assignments are made on a space-available basis.
- Although Framar House is not listed on the First Year Residence Hall list, First Year International Students may select Framar–we highly recommend it!
- For information about room amenities, check out the Res-Life Welcome and UMW-at-a-Glance
- We highly recommend you purchase a “bed & bath set” for your room at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival. Bed linens are not provided for you. The Student Starter Pak is a popular choice, but you may purchase items separately. Please use 1301 College Avenue, Center for International Education, Lee Hall 434 as the Shipping Address! Any additional items you may need for your room can be purchased after your arrival. A shopping trip is scheduled during orientation.