We look forward to your arrival! Click on the links below to view important information designed to help you plan your arrival on campus and transition into life at UMW.
International Student Check In Day for the fall 2015 semester is Monday, August 17, 2015. Students should plan to arrive at Washington DC’s Dulles Airport between 10:00am and 7:00pm on that date in order to receive free transportation from the airport to UMW’s campus. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your flight information to take advantage of this service. Please note that student housing is not available prior to the check in date. Students arriving on alternate dates will be responsible for their own transportation and lodging until check in day.
Upon your arrival to Washington Dulles International Airport, you will either be greeted by UMW students/staff OR you will meet your shuttle driver by following the instructions we will provide. We will e-mail you instructions about 10 days before your scheduled arrival.
- You will be greeted by UMW students/staff at the Traveler’s Aid Desk after you clear Customs & Immigration. If you do not see a UMW student/staff, please be sure to wait near the Traveler’s Aid Desk.
- For those of you who are scheduled to arrive by the shuttle service provided by Chop Chop Shuttle, you will:
- Locate the Traveler’s Aid Desk or pay phone upon clearing Customs & Immigration. Call the shuttle driver at the toll free number (888) 363-2467 and tell the shuttle driver you have cleared Customs.
- Take the escalator or stairs up to the Departure Level. This is the level where the ticket counters are located. Find the United Airlines ticket counter.
- Look outside from the United Airlines ticket counter and proceed out of the glass door to your right (door #4). Wait on the sidewalk outside door #4. The shuttle driver should have told you what type of vehicle to look for. It will either be a van marked “Chop Chop Shuttle & Tour,” or an unmarked vehicle. You must look for the van/vehicle and wave to get the driver’s attention. If you have any problems, please call the toll free number (888) 363-2467.
If there are any problems, please keep these numbers with you:
Center for International Education (CIE) 540-654-1870 (8-5pm)
Ann Witkowski 540-429-1743 (any time)
CIE Emergency 540-419-9781 (24/7)
Finding the UMW Campus
The University of Mary Washington is located in Fredericksburg, Virginia, 50 miles south of Washington D.C. Visitors to campus may use Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) or Washington-Dulles International Airport (IAD). Each airport is roughly 60 miles north of Fredericksburg. Students are responsible for making their own way from the airport to the campus if arriving outside of the designated UMW International Student Check In Day. Shuttle service from both airports to the University of Mary Washington is available for approximately $110 dollars. Please contact the Center for International Education (email@example.com) to request a shuttle reservation.
International Student Orientation is an essential part of your arrival process and mandatory for all F & J visa students.
New Student Orientation will help you learn your way around campus, meet other students, and register for classes.
Immigration Document Check-In
All new international students holding F & J visas are required to bring their legal documents and to the International Student Orientation. This is required so that CIE can determine your legal status and make copies for our records as required by U.S. law.
Students should bring the following to the International Student Orientation:
- Your passport with your visa stamp
- Your I-94 Admission Number print out (students may print this form during Orientation)
- Your Form I-20 or DS-2019