Make sure you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes before proceeding with these instructions.
Students and Scholars who earned no income in 2016
If you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes and you earned no income during 2016, complete IRS Form 8843 “Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition.”
Federal tax forms must be mailed by April 18, 2017.
Virginia state tax forms must be mailed by May 1, 2017. If you also lived or worked in other states, their deadlines may vary.
- Blank Form 8843
- Filing Instructions for Form 8843: Students
- Filing Instructions for Form 8843: Scholars (VLIs)
- Complete and mail by deadline. Save a copy for 7 years for audit purposes.
Students and Scholars who earned income in 2016
If you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes and you earned income during 2016, you will need to file federal and state taxes. We suggest you use Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), an online tax preparation tax preparation system designed specifically for non-resident aliens. Please be aware that Glacier Tax Prep only files Federal Taxes and NOT Virginia State Taxes.
Documents to get started
- Passport, I-94 record, and DS-2019 or I-20
- W-2, a tax statement sent by your employer that states how much you earned and how much you paid in taxes.
- Last year’s U.S. tax return (if you have one)
- List of dates of trips outside the U.S. since you arrived to the U.S. Check the stamps in your passport, or look up your travel history via the electronic Arrival/Departure I-94 website.
Options for Assistance
1. Glacier Tax Prep (GTP)
CIE has purchased a limited number of access codes for Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), an online tax preparation tax preparation system designed specifically for non-resident aliens. GTP only files federal taxes. You will have to file Virginia state taxes separately. GTP will be ready in late February or early March, and will be advertised via e-mail and the CIE website. Access codes to GTP will be issued on a first come, first serve basis. You must print and mail the forms GTP prepares for you; non-resident alien tax forms cannot be filed online.
2. Tax Forms (if you prefer to prepare by hand)
Federal tax forms:
Virginia state tax forms:
- Form 760: if you were a resident of Virginia more than half of 2016
- Form 760PY: if you were a resident of Virginia for less than half of 2016
Please note that CIE does not give tax advice, does not guarantee, and is not responsible for any final tax results. It is the responsibility of each international student, scholar and dependent to comply with U.S. tax regulations. While we offer tax information in the form of resources, CIE is not trained to provide tax advice and disclaims all liability stemming from the misinterpretation or misuse of the resources offered.